.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, April 13, 2008

OPENING DAY AT THE SOUTHERNMOST RED SOX NATION

The Sox opened the season in Japan and I opened it in Key West. I heard the Lazy Gecko would have the game on, free breakfast and drink specials. So I was there! I woke at 5:30 and quickly dressed to head south to Duvall. Key West was dark, quiet and cold. As I turned onto Duvall, they were cleaning the streets and I ran into another Sox fan heading to the bar. We were running a bit late and were discussing how many people would show. He thought about twenty. The Lazy Gecko had at least fifty, and surprisingly not all Sox fans.

The place was rocking. Beers, bloody marys, mimosas and even shots were flowing. I couldn’t find a seat initially and got one next to the transplant New Yorkers. It was bad times at the start as the Sox were getting beat. Folks started clearing out around seven-thirty as many went to work. At that time, the Manager of the place sat down next to me and he is from my hometown area and played college ball with a high school friend of mine at UMASS. We did shots around the seventh inning and I learned that most of the people still in the bar never went to sleep. Many work in the night spots and started drinking after that got off around four. I also met a guy who’s cousin I played hockey with back in high school. It was like being at a bar back home. Good times.

The Lazy Gecko is definitely Southernmost Red Sox Nation! I might need to make Opening Day at the Lazy Gecko a yearly tradition.

Part 1 and 2 of my trip are linked as well as a live webcam of the Lazy Gecko.

|



<< Home

0 Old Comments:

Thank you - Red Sox!

This site is not associated with the Boston Red Sox, Major League Baseball nor Major League Players Assoication

© 2003-2010 Thomas J. Fratamico, III

All Rights Reserved

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Best deals on Red Sox Tickets at Ticketmomma.com. Over 25 years experience.

Who is El Guapo's Ghost?

Want to become a sponsor?

Follow ElGuaposGhost on Twitter

Join our team of experts that provide the latest strategies and tricks in Poker, we dare you to Playusout. If that's not your specialty, maybe you can try going Extreme in Europe, or visit our revolution portal at D-rev.

2009 A.L. Playoff Preview

Part 1 Part 2