Friday, June 18, 2004
Even though the Sox won yesterday, they are in a mini-slump and are five games back of the MFY in the loss column but we should not be lining up at the Tobin and Zakim. Here’s why:
• The Rockies are a bad club and a terrible team on the road but at home they are close to a 500 ballclub. It was not a terrible series.
• The MFY are undefeated 6-0 versus Baltimore. The Sox are 2-4 versus the O’s. The difference in records against Baltimore accounts for four of the five game deficit. If the Sox were a game back, we would not feel like the sky was falling. The Old Town Team needs to play better against the O’s.
• The Sox are starting to get healthy and the MFY are hurting. Nomar, Trot and Williamson are back and should be rounding into form soon. Kim and Mueller are progressing ahead of schedule. On the other hand, Mussina has struggled most of the season and will miss a start, Brown is on the DL, Rivera is not 100%, Contreras is a head-case, the other 50 year-old Cuban is on the DL, and Karsay had another setback.
• Pedro and DLowe appear to be back. Danny O'Rocky will be all over the sinkerballer this winter.
• “And on the mound for the Yankees, Tanyon Sturtze.”
• Unfortunately, Baseball Prospectus’ EQR and AEQR standings don’t count. They have the Sox slightly ahead of the MFY. The standings are, though, a better indicator of past performance and a baseline for future expectations.
• And let's not forget, they play again tonight and a little under 100 more to go.