Saturday, April 04, 2009
With Opening Night(?) a day away, I want to run down my nine reasons why I love this game more than any other.
1) After the long and hated New England winter, baseball is my symbol that spring and summer are back.
2) Numbers matter more in baseball. With all the new numbers that I love, the box score still tells a story pretty darn well.
3) Baseball has no time limit. Unlike most aspects of my life, time is irrelevant.
4) An average looking person can be a professional. A boy doesn’t need to be over six feet tall, weigh over 300 lb or run faster than a dog to dream about making it to the Show.
5) If the weather is bad, we’ll play another time. Baseball doesn’t make the fan endure watching a game in rain or even snow.
6) Not only is every Park different, but the playing field is too. The Green Monster, the short porch in right, and ivy in the outfield can impact the game and makes every game visually unique.
7) A summer day without baseball is a rare day.
8) Baseball is good entertainment value. The value of going to a MLB game is debatable; what is not is taking the clan to a minor league contest. Four hours at under $10 each is great value compared to the movies. And you aren’t given dirty looks when you talk to one another.
9) If you catch a baseball, you keep it and not much is better than that or this game!