Tuesday, June 24, 2008
* I had the luxury to watch Curt Schilling pitch behind home plate in 2004. He dominated the Rangers. On that day, I don’t know how a batter could have distinguished between the fastball and split. Curt Schilling came, saw and conquered. He is the MFY Killer.
* In general, Cardinals fans are good people. After Game 4 of the 2004 World Series, everyone congratulated and were very gracious in defeat. Hopefully, Bud stays in St. Louis and the mighty Mississippi doesn’t do any more damage.
* At a little under the half way mark, it is scary that Jason Varitek is hitting only 230/308/392. The Captain’s walk, strikeout and line drive rates are all heading in the wrong direction from his career norms. The crappy production is for real. The question is not when he will get out of this funk but will he?
* Sox pitchers will need better control and command. The staff is 10th in BBs to date. The stuff is present as they are first in strikeouts. But things could get tough when facing patient lineups like the MFY.
* Take advantage of the Baseball as America exhibit at the Museum of Science. I saw it in L.A. back in 2002 as part of a Baseball Prospectus Pizza Feed.