Monday, September 10, 2007
Yes, I don’t like choices either but that’s about it right now.
Observations on your comments:
* A-Hole is likely to go down as the greatest player ever, but it does not make financial sense for the Sox to invest about 15% of your business’ value in one asset ($200M A-Hole / $1.4B Sox). I can’t see John Henry making such an irrational business decision. A-Hole will go to a franchise that needs to build or sustain their large market/revenue streams like the Giants, Nationals or MFY.
* If Manny had a typical Manny season, then I would agree that it is time to put him on the block but now they would be selling low. Plus, he is worth more to the Sox than almost any other team. Fenway’s LF makes him a tolerable outfielder so a club needs to play him as a DH for the Sox to get a full return. The only club on the field that makes sense is the Twins. It would be a stretch for their budget but it might make sense to lessen the blow of Torii Hunter and to go-all-in in Santana’s last year.
* I love Cabrera! My man crush for him is almost to Carlos Beltran level a few years ago. A deal would have to be at least Ellsbury, Lester or Masterson and two of their high ceiling A-ball teenagers. I doubt he is going anywhere, but the Sox are one of a few teams that could meet the high asking price.
* Gagne will take a closers job somewhere. He won’t be a Sock next year.
* Tavarez has a relatively cheap option so he’ll be back as the swing man again next season. Silva is going to get something like $24m over three years or Miguel Batista money. Tavarez at $3.85m is a bargain.
* I can see Clement trying a comeback with the Sox, but as a reliever. Clement’s slider was so tough on RHB that he could become a dominate setup man to pair with Okajima. Plus, they know his rehab better than any other team.
This post made possible by TicketLiquidator, your broker for baseball tickets and other cheap tickets.