Sunday, July 08, 2007
* Bubba Bell got the call as did Justin Masterson, but what about Aaron Bates? He is already 23. Bates seems to have the right approach and the Sea Dogs have Eric Crozier at first. Crozier was a prospect around six years ago in the Jays system.
* Clay Buchholz pitching out of the pen is likely not anything more than tempering his innings so he can perform in the Futures Game. The Sox are again (Buchholz pitched against Clemens on ESPN) trying to expose Buchholz to the big stage as part of his development when possible. It is more telling that Masterson gives the SeaDogs six starters. Buchholz will be in RI shortly.
* I want to see if Garza, Adam Miller (Indians), Clay Buchholz (Red Sox) and Ross Ohlendorf (Yankees) can end up doing whart Jonathan Papelbon did for Boston in 2005. Me to Mr. Gammons.
* Nick Hagadone, Caleb Clay and Jose Capellan give the Spinners an interesting trio in the rotation. And if that is not enough, Ryan Kalish could be the best athlete in the system and he is hitting.
* Of course, it is risky to invest $1.5 million in a kid - Michael Almanzar. But it appears that the Sox knew him better than anyone else. The Olde Towne Team’s level of risk may be less than other clubs. The Sox continue to be aggressive in the Dominican. Last year, they gave five-toolers, Engel Beltre $.575 million and Oscar Tejada $.525 million. Tejada appears to be adjusting better than Beltra to date.
* For the third year in a row, the Sox signed a player from Taiwan for six figures. This year’s, Che-Hsuan Lin, seems to be the best out of the three. He reportedly turned down a better deal from the Mariners to play for the Sox. According to sources, he has Ichiro type speed out of the box and an arm that nearly matches his legs.
* Watch the Futures Game today at 4pm. on ESPN2.