Monday, November 22, 2004
I predicted that few transactions would be completed before Thanksgiving, but where are the rumors – Polanco and Renteria, please. Don Theo continues to do an incredible job at sealing any leaks to the media. Theo should have managed the Big Debacle.
The only news coming out of Yawkey Way is the 40-man roster has only 31 players on it. It should be no surprise. At a minimum, the Sox need to add a pair of catcher and starters, a shortstop, another arm in the pen and a utility guy for the 25-man. It leaves two open spots for possible Rule 5 picks and other fodder.
• Benson and Rusch sign multi-year deals? These and the D.C. signing make me think that I could run a MLB team at a replacement G.M. level.
• The Anaheim-DC deal provides Stoneman with more ammunition to score Randy Johnson. A signing of one big name SS, 1B, 2B, or CF gives Anaheim the flexibility to put together a package to acquire the biggest prize this offseason.
• The Globe reports that El Guapo lives: Rich Garces is closing for Magallanes in the Venezuelan winter league. It will be interesting to see if a team takes a chance on my fav. Theo how about a NRI? What does it hurt? The comedy value alone makes it a worthwhile investment.
• Two of my highlighted minor league free agents have already been signed – Jack Cust with the A’s and Esteban German signed with the Texass.
• Everyone have a great Thanksgiving. This is my favorite holiday. As I have said before, it makes my usual weekend activities, over indulging and falling asleep watching sports, socially acceptable.