.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, May 07, 2004

IS IT ONLY A MATTER OF TIME?

Boy George in an interview with SI’s Tom Verducci,
“Nomar is a great player and a great team leader. I love him. He can't feel good. You can't tell what he'll do next year. He married Mia Hamm. That's pretty smart, too."

Joe Sheenan of Baseball Prospectus makes a few keen observations on the Red Sox.

• With Nomar Garciaparra's return getting closer, the Red Sox are going to have an interesting decision to make. Mark Bellhorn is third on the team in OBP and out-hitting Pokey Reese by what would be about 50 runs over a full season. I think Reese has to be in the lineup behind Derek Lowe, but none of the other Red Sox starters gets enough ground balls to justify playing him over Bellhorn.

How Terry Francona handles this is the first real test for him as Red Sox manager.

• Nobody asked me, but I wouldn't sign Pedro Martinez to a three-year contract at gunpoint, and I wouldn't commit to more than $20MM over the life of a two-year deal. The Sox have better uses--Edgar Renteria, to name one--for that money.

And no, Lowe isn't one of them. Why people are lumping him in with Martinez, Garciaparra and Jason Varitek is beyond me. He's a No. 3 starter heavily dependent on his defense. Although I suppose if Sidney Ponson can turn one good half into $22 million, Lowe will do all right for himself.


I decided sometime ago not to post about the impending Sox free agents and I won’t. I will say that if Pedro does not return, the Sox will seriously consider moving to a four-man starting rotation like in Denver. Two of the Sox starters under contract have the ability to make the transition easily – Wakefield and Kim. My gut tells me that the workhorse named Curt Schilling will not have issue pitching on three days rest. Bronson Arroyo would be a nice swing/everything pitcher – spot starter, long and middle reliever. Acquiring one starting pitcher is certainly easier and cheaper than two but those are only the ancillary benefits. Rany Jazayerli explains the others here – Part I, Part II, Part III.

TECHINICAL DIFFICULTITES…
are preventing me from posting more original content. It should be resolved next week. I apologize and please stay tuned.

|



<< Home

0 Old Comments:

Thank you - Red Sox!

This site is not associated with the Boston Red Sox, Major League Baseball nor Major League Players Assoication

© 2003-2010 Thomas J. Fratamico, III

All Rights Reserved

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Best deals on Red Sox Tickets at Ticketmomma.com. Over 25 years experience.

Who is El Guapo's Ghost?

Want to become a sponsor?

Follow ElGuaposGhost on Twitter

Join our team of experts that provide the latest strategies and tricks in Poker, we dare you to Playusout. If that's not your specialty, maybe you can try going Extreme in Europe, or visit our revolution portal at D-rev.

2009 A.L. Playoff Preview

Part 1 Part 2