.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Without permission from ESPN the Magazine an excerpt for everyone who doesn’t get the Mag. I only get it because I’ve signed up for Insider - I got to have my Gammons. ESPN loves to increase their subscriber numbers.

SPARKING A HISTORIC COMEBACK
DAVE ROBERTS
1 ALCS, 0 Abs, 1SB IN BOTTOM OF NINTH OF GAME 4 VS. YANKEES IN 2004,
WITH RED SOX DOWN A RUN AND FACING ELIMINATION


In that situation, you have to be 100% sure you’re going to make it. There were a lot of thing going through my head, like, If I get thrown out, I’m going to be the next Billy Buckner. But I also thought, Do I want to be under the radar and not make an impact - or do I take a chance and see if something special can happen? First base coach Lynn Jones assumed Billy Mueller was going to bunt. I said, “No, I’m going to steal this base.” Billy steps out of the box and they do the signs. They’re looking at the bench and Terry Francona gives the green light. I tip my hat to Terry. Most managers would bunt you over, especially with Mariano on the mound. I’d watched a lot of video on Rivera. I knew he was going to try to hold the ball on me, wait me out. But Maury Wills always said, “Get the maximum lead and get a good jump. Don’t worry about the pitcher or the catcher.” Rivera threw over three times, and then I went on the first pitch. It was a fastball up and away, a great pitch for Posada to throw on. Once I got my jump, I had a good feeling I was going to be safe, but I didn’t realize how close it was. It was bang-bang. We had so many superstars on that team, from Ortiz to Manny to Schilling to Pedro to Johnny, on and on. That was my opportunity to pull my weight.

|



<< Home

0 Old Comments:

Thank you - Red Sox!

This site is not associated with the Boston Red Sox, Major League Baseball nor Major League Players Assoication

© 2003-2010 Thomas J. Fratamico, III

All Rights Reserved

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Best deals on Red Sox Tickets at Ticketmomma.com. Over 25 years experience.

Who is El Guapo's Ghost?

Want to become a sponsor?

Follow ElGuaposGhost on Twitter

Join our team of experts that provide the latest strategies and tricks in Poker, we dare you to Playusout. If that's not your specialty, maybe you can try going Extreme in Europe, or visit our revolution portal at D-rev.

2009 A.L. Playoff Preview

Part 1 Part 2